An opportunity for an experienced Structures Engineer to work onsite at ESTEC for Telespazio VEGA UK.
To provide specialist support as required to the Structures Materials Mechanisms and Thermal Engineering Domain with respect to Structures Static, Buckling/Stability, Thermo-Elastic Analysis, Spacecraft configuration and Dynamic Analysis and Test correlation among other duties.
Responsibilities / Duties
Duties may include but are not limited to:
Design and Configuration
- Support spacecraft and launcher configuration studies for Agency projects. This includes operating CAD tools and participation in Concurrent Design Facility (CDF) sessions at ESTEC.
- Perform mass, inertia and balance calculations and relevant budget assessments.
- Issue relevant documentation covering all configuration definition aspects, and where necessary shall support the configuration definition by preliminary structural analyses using FEM models.
- Ensure CAD interfaces and configuration data transfer with Agency contractors via international standards.
- Ensure the interface between the CAD systems and the relevant FEM tools to enable further evaluation of the structural behaviour.
- Contribute to the further development of the Structures and Configuration tools deployed in the Agency, including in the CDF.
- Support progress meetings and reviews in support to Agency projects.
- Support the updating and maintenance of CAD and FE models databases. Support and contribute to the establishment and maintenance of relevant Structures Engineering Standards and Handbooks.
Structures Static, Buckling/Stability, Thermo-Elastic Analysis
- Support the generation and set-up of structural mathematical models using the finite element method for structural analysis problems for Agency funded projects, taking into account the specific objectives of such analysis, covering all structural materials applied in spacecraft and launchers. Where necessary non-linear approaches and specific solution sequences shall be applied/developed (e.g. Nastran SOL 600, Mecano, Abaqus).
- Perform the analysis, evaluate critically the results and issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps.
- Support the generation and set-up of mathematical models for structural elastic stability problems for Agency funded projects, taking into account specific requirements attached to this type of analysis.
- Perform stability analysis leading to the determination of buckling loads and deformations.
- Where necessary the post buckling behaviour shall be addressed, adequate non-linear approaches used, and where relevant specific solution sequences shall be developed.
- Evaluate critically the results, and issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps
- Support the generation and set-up of mathematical models for structural thermo-elastic stability problems for Agency funded projects, taking into account specific requirements attached to this type of analysis.
- Perform the interpolation of the temperature maps as resulting from thermal analysis for their employment in finite element structural analysis.
- Perform thermo-elastic analysis leading to the determination of loads and deformations, evaluate the outcome in terms of margins of safety and stability budgets, evaluate critically the results and issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps. Where necessary nonlinear approaches shall be considered and specific solution sequences shall be developed.
- Evaluate critically the results and the loads and issue relevant documentation.
Structural Dynamics Analysis and Vibration Test Data Evaluation
- Support the generation and set-up of structural dynamic mathematical models for spacecraft and launchers of Agency funded projects using the finite element method. He/she shall take into account the specific objectives of such analysis and where necessary non-linear approaches shall be considered and specific solution sequences (e.g. Nastran DMAPS) shall be developed.
- Perform the analysis (modal, frequency and transient responses, random responses, preliminary in-house launcher – spacecraft coupled analysis), evaluate critically the results and issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps.
- Produce advanced reduced models of spacecraft and launchers.
- Set up relevant documents and maintain all models and tools required to perform launcher – spacecraft coupled loads analysis.
Dynamic Test Data Analysis and Correlation:
- Support the preparation and execution of mechanical tests (modal survey, sine, random, acoustics, micro-vibration, shock, etc) for spacecraft & launchers of Agency projects by performing and/or reviewing analytical predictions and procedures.
- Perform modal identification of the test data, evaluate critically the results and make usage of these results for updating structural finite element models.
- Perform assessments of shock response data.
- Take into account the specific objectives of such analyses and where necessary non-linear analyses shall be performed and specific solution sequences shall be developed. Issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps. Where applicable produce advanced reduced dynamic mathematical models.
Qualifications / Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering
- Relevant experience within the field of spacecraft- and launcher structures design, analysis, verification and testing.
- Good knowledge in space system engineering, and space engineering standards (ECSS).
- Knowledge of thermal analysis software (ESATAN/ESARAD) and CAD software (CATIA) would be an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of structures numerical analysis tools such as Nastran, Patran, Abaqus, ESACRACK etc
- Good English language skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to present and effectively communicate quality system processes.
- Good organisational and communication skills, with the ability to work in a diverse team environment.
- Candidates must be eligible for security clearance from their national security administration.
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Location of the position is ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.