An experienced SW Engineer to work onsite at ESAC within Science Operations for Telespazio VEGA.
Software engineer support is required for software engineering tasks in the development/maintenance or enhancement of the SOC systems.
Responsibilities / Duties
Duties will include but are not limited to:
Design, develop, deploy, operate and maintain all ESDC Science Archives and Virtual Observatory (VO) subsystems, i.e.
- Archive Data products repositories
- Archive Databases (including DB administrative tasks)
- Archive Data ingestion and metadata extraction systems
- Archive application servers and middle tier services
- Archive Graphical user interfaces and web pages
- Archive Data distribution systems
- Archive interoperability systems, supported by VO standards
- Archive administration services (monitoring, statistics, user management, etc)
- Archive data products on-line visualization and analysis services
- VO tools and services
- Software configuration control activities associated with archive development
- Unit and system tests associated with archive development
- Participation to working groups, workshops, conferences and meetings where science archives and virtual observatory standards and practices are discussed.
Provide technical support to archives and VO services usage the following specific tasks supporting the potential expansion of the current ESDC services might be required:
- Cloud-based processing systems attached to the archives.
- Mobile devices and apps for Android and iOS.
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality data analysis applications.
- Artificial Intelligence and machine learning-based applications.
Qualifications / Experience
- MSc or equivalent in a relevant technical or scientific subject area
- Minimum of 4 years of experience within industry in general software development and software engineering
- Experience on ESA Science Ground Segment software engineering processes, such as ECSS-E-ST-40C and ECSS-Q-ST-80C standards
- Experience in software configuration control processes and tools
- Experience in software development under Linux
- Some scientific background would be an asset
- Experience in JAVA, Google Web Toolkit, Vaadin
- Unit testing (JUnit) and UI testing (selenium)
- Experience in relational databases (Oracle & PostgreSQL)
- Experience with SVN, git repositories and project management software JIRA and Confluence
- Experience in SQL and XML
- Experience in GIS technology
- Experience in Virtual Observatory standards and protocols, working groups, working processes and environment would be an asset
- Experience in interacting with the science community would be an advantage
- Must be willing to operate in a team environment and to travel
- Be self-motivated and be able to work independently
- Ability to take initiative and pro-actively seek solutions to problems would be valued
- The person should be comfortable in an international working environment and be fluent in English, one of the official languages of ESA
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful engineer is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any engineer to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Location of the position is ESAC, Villafranca, Spain
Competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from engineers as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.
Click To Apply with CV in English WORD Format By applying you agree to Telespazio VEGA UK Ltd holding and processing your personal information for the purpose of your application.