An opportunity for an experienced Satellite System Engineer to assist in Payload Data Ground Systems Engineering and Management Support on site at ESTEC for Telespazio VEGA UK.
To support the Earth Observation Directorate at ESTEC with Post Launch Engineering tasks, by assisting the ESA Payload Data Ground Segment Project Manager, the PDGS Operations Manager and the Mission Managers in design, implementation, integration. validation, commissioning and operations activities for Earth Observation Satellites (Sentinel 1,2,3 & 5p).
Responsibilities / Duties
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Engineering Support for Sentinel-2 in the fields of:
- End to End operations support for the assessment and coordination of operational contract deliverables;
- End to End support for the evolutions and maintenance of system architecture and associated sub-systems;
- Support for the mission planning operations.
- Multi-Sentinel ground segment engineering support, addressing e.g. Acquisition Stations, Processing and Long Term Archiving Centres for the assessment and coordination of operational contract deliverables;
- Spacecraft engineering support, addressing e.g. the assessment and coordination of post-launch maintenance contract deliverables;
- Coordination of the internal and external support to the Post Launch Support PLS function (ESA Project Team, TEC experts, Mission Analysis and System Support, Industry);
- Coordinate with the ESA Project Team (were relevant) to exchange technical status on the flying- and non-flying satellite(s), identifying coordination issues of relevance and following them to conclusion;
- Support PLS at the regular (weekly) Operations Boards;
- Support the Operations Team(s) by providing or facilitating responses to technical support requests from either the Flight operations Segment (FOS) or Payload Data Ground Segment (PDGS);
- Maintain & distribute the PLS On-Call lists to the FOS (& other parties where relevant) in a timely manner;
- Support the Mission Manager and his/her team by providing technical advice related to issues of Satellite(s) performance;
- Support the Project Team(s) by providing timely & pertinent feedback on any issue detected in-flight with potential impact on satellite(s) still under development;
- provide specific technical expertise to support Performance Monitoring, Analysis & Optimisation tasks and Anomaly Investigations, with overall aim to improve mission quality and/or lifetime;
- Preparation of Technical Documentation, such as Reports, Technical Notes and other requested documentation;
- Review and synthesis of Technical Reports and documents produced by Industry, and extraction of relevant technical information for use in generation of PLS Performance metrics and reports;
- Organise and support the 6-monthly In-Orbit Performance Reviews in cooperation with the Industrial Prime contractor, including associated follow-up activities (eg administration, actions follow up etc);
- Respond to Anomaly Warnings received from the Flight Operations Segment (FOS) in an appropriate & timely manner, providing support and facilitating the necessary follow-on actions;
- Supporting and lead complex investigations that arise as a result of satellite performance and anomalies, ensuring adequate coordination with involved partners (MM, FOS, Industry, Project, Management);
- Prepare, coordinate & follow-up on engineering requests for the Industrial contractors in support of Anomaly Investigations and other technical analyses;
- Support the meetings of the Satellite Configuration Control Board (CCB);
- Support Satellite Decommissioning & Disposal activities as required by Mission status;
- Monitor, track and report the status of activities performed by the Industrial contractors in support of the PLS function (technical, commercial and schedule status);
- Preparation of Commercial Documentation, such as Statement of Work and other requested documentation;
- Review commercial payment requests & the associated justifications submitted by Industry (regular milestones or as result of ad-hoc Cost Reimbursement activities);
- Bring innovation to satellite performance analysis by investigating emerging technologies that enhance the ability for early detection of performance trends and deviations.
- Maintain the relevant PLS technical records, databases & documentation in accordance with established procedures;
- Maintain a regular (weekly) reporting & coordination with the PLS Manager;
Qualifications / Experience
- MSc or equivalent in Aerospace Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline.
- At least 10 years relevant industrial experience.
- Solid experience in satellite system engineering, spacecraft development projects, equipment/subsystem procurement, Assembly, Integration and Test and/or commissioning is essential.
- Good experience in satellite operations is a strong asset.
- Experience in leading a team and coordination experience is essential.
- Good English language skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to present and effectively communicate quality system processes.
- Good organisational and communication skills, with the ability to work in a diverse team environment.
- Leadership skills.
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Location of the position is ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.