An opportunity for an experienced Safety Engineer to work for Telespazio VEGA, onsite at ESTEC, providing support to the International Space Station (ISS) systems and payloads.
To provide support on ESA Safety Review Panel, particularly the interpretation of safety requirements and assessment of safety data package readiness for review.
Responsibilities / Duties
Duties will include but not limited to:
- Support the ESA Safety Review Panel chairman in the conduct of ESA safety reviews for the certification of International Space Station systems and payloads;
- Provide technical support to projects for the interpretation of safety requirements and the preparation of the safety review data package;
- Perform ESA Safety Review Panel secretarial tasks for data package distribution, reviews planning and logistics, collection of reviewers inputs, issue of official ESRP minutes of meeting ensuring that they are executed according to the process requirements in SSP 30599 and the complementary ESA processes;
- Perform preliminary assessment of safety data package readiness for review;
- Track and process action items responses and safety verifications closeouts;
- Upload of documentation in NASA and ESA databases;
- Assess safety analyses and safety compliance data packages prepared by cargo items providers (industrial contractors, experimenters, National Agencies, ISS commercial users) and provide detailed written feedback;
- Support safety review meetings as Operations Safety panel expert;
- Review the implementation of entries in the ESA Operations Control Agreement Database (eOCAD);
- Provide readiness inputs and certification for pre-SORR meeting;
- Support ESA in the review of ISS Change Requests relevant to Safety requirements;
- Coordinate and ensure timely ESRP approval of yellow tags;
- Execute any other safety engineering related task upon request of the ESA Technical Responsible;
- Provide support to the ESRP Chairperson for the aspect associated to resolution of technical issues and conduction of safety reviews;
- Support, as required, human spaceflight safety related interface activities with ISS international partners (e.g. preparation and participation to the Multilateral Mission Assurance and Safety Control Board (MSMACB), pre-Stage Operations Readiness Review meetings, preparation and processing of safety NCRs, technical issues discussions, etc.);
- Prepare weekly report on the executed safety engineering activities;
- Prepare monthly ESRP report.
Qualifications / Experience
- Relevant experience in the design and engineering of safety critical systems;
- Hands-on knowledge of the safety analyses and methodologies;
- Knowledge of ESA and NASA safety certification process, including verification methods and procedures,
- Knowledge of ISS operations environment
- Experience in human spaceflight safety with emphasis on the application of ISS safety requirements and processes;
- Good interpersonal, organization and communication skills, with the ability to work in a diverse team environment;
- Knowledge of ISS systems, subsystems and payloads, of ISS safety
- requirements and their related implementation;
- Extended understanding of the hazard which are intrinsic of a system and /or induced by space operations, and the way they are eliminated or controlled;
- Knowledge of the way safety data are generated, validated and retained in support of the ISS programme safety certification;
- Knowledge of Configuration Management;
- Familiarity with space product assurance practices is an advantage;
- Capacity to handle complex situations and complex environment;
- Extensive knowledge of system safety engineering principle, methods and processes;
- Be able to function as part of a team
- Excellent organization skills
- A proactive and flexible attitude will be required
- An ability to work independently and to establish good working relations
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Location of the position is: ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Closing date : 28 August 2018
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.
Click To Apply with CV in WORD format By clicking to apply you agree to your personal details being held and processed by Telespazio VEGA for the purpose of your application.