An opportunity for an experienced Materials Engineer to work onsite at ESTEC for Telespazio VEGA UK.
To contribute as an expert in Non-Metallic Materials & Processes and Contamination & Cleanliness aspects for defined ESA projects.
Responsibilities / Duties
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Act as Project Focal Point with a non-metallic materials and processes and contamination and cleanliness expert role for defined ESA projects, reporting to the Projects Engineering as well as Product Assurance and Safety Managers, including participation to Projects meetings, reviews and audits;
- Support Materials and Processes reviews, Materials and Processes Control Boards (MPCB’s) and participate as Engineering and/or PA Board Member in ESA Programme reviews milestones (including PRRs, SRRs, PDRs, CDRs, QARs, FRRs, etc.);
- Support TRRs (Test Readiness Reviews) and TRBs (Test Review Boards) for cleanliness and contamination aspects (e.g. for bake-out activities);
- Review Declared Materials, Parts and Processes Lists (DMLs, DPLs, and DMPLs) as well as RFAs, RFDs/RFWs;
- Review Contamination Analysis documents, Cleanliness & Contamination Control Plans (CCCPs), bake-out procedures and reports, etc and provide support to flight hardware inspections from a contamination and cleanliness point of view on the industrial side;
- Coordinate laboratory activities for cleanliness & contamination, supporting specific Projects requests;
- Coordinate laboratory characterisation and verification for space use on spacecraft and launchers, supporting specific Projects requests, of a variety of non-metallic materials (including but not limited to ceramics, glasses, polymers, adhesives, coatings, composites and thermoplastics) as well as all associated manufacturing processes;
- Support major Projects Non-Conformances Review Board activities and, if agreed, support the performance of failure analysis and failure investigation in cooperation with laboratories;
Qualifications / Experience
- At least Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant physical science or engineering subject, preferably materials engineering, materials science or another related field.
- Demonstrated background in material & processes evaluation for newly qualified processes and industrial experience in non-metallic materials and associated manufacturing and applied processes, preferably covering aerospace hardware and R&D;
- Industrial practical experience related to cleanliness and contamination is desired;
- Knowledge of ESA materials and processes related requirements is a strong asset;
- Experience in ESA or other Space related projects is a strong asset;
- Understanding of space missions related requirements and capability to propose verification methods including testing, analysis, inspections;
- Materials laboratory hands-on experience related to non-metallic materials and manufacturing processes characterisation/verification and failure investigation is desirable.
- Good English language skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to present and effectively communicate quality system processes;
- Ability to work effectively, autonomously and cooperatively in a diverse and international team environment, defining and implementing solutions in line with team and individual objectives, as well as project deadlines.
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Location of the position is ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.