A superb opportunity to join the Technology Coordination and Frequency Management Section at ESA, supporting Earth Observation missions.
This section has two key areas of responsibility identifying and supporting technology developments for Earth Observation (EO) missions, and the analysis and monitoring of frequency needs for EO missions. As such, collaboration between many divisions and the Technical directorate within ESA are key to success in this role.
Responsibilities / Duties
The principle tasks in the area of Frequency Management will include:
- Analysing requirements and constraints of EO missions under preparation with respect to frequency allocation and interference,
- Providing specific support to preparatory activities and to projects to an extent to be determined case-by-case,
- Monitoring the evolving frequency needs of future EO missions, including early concepts, and potential conflicts with competing areas,
- Participating in the work of technical committees relevant for EO in the framework of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the European Conference of Postal & Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) and the Space Frequency Coordination Group (SFGG),
- Conducting studies to support the ESA position in the above mentioned committees,
- Performing technical studies and analyses related to frequency spectrum management and interference assessment
- Developing and using RFI simulation software tools (typically based on STK, Excel with VBA and Matlab), to conduct sharing bands and compatibility analysis between services, in line with ITU recommendations.
- Reporting on frequency management matters and contributing to reports to Delegate Bodies
- Coordinating with the ESA Frequency Management Office
The principle tasks in the area of EO Technology Development will include:
- Supporting the identification of the technology requirements for future Earth observations missions
- Supporting missions under preparation through, e.g. participation to reviews, assessment of industrial results, evaluation of proposals in reply to calls
Qualifications / Experience
- University degree in Electrical/Electronics/Telecom Engineering (PhD or MSc)
- Background and experience in satellite systems, space projects and associated sub-system technology developments
- Experience with simulation tools, including Matlab, Excel with VBA and STK
- Experience in microwave remote sensing techniques used in Earth Observation missions.
- Knowledge of Radio Regulations
- Proficient in spoken and written English
This position requires regular travelling to participate to frequency management international fora, technical committees and working groups (e.g. ITU WRC, CEPT, and SFCG).
- Ability to conduct research autonomously
- Good communication skills
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Closing Date for applications is 20th May 2019.
Location of the position is ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.
To apply: Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
By sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org you give your consent for Telespazio VEGA to hold and process your personal information for the purpose of the application.