An opportunity for an experienced Instrument Scientist to provide support onsite at ESAC for Telespazio VEGA.
To support Instrument in-flight calibration and data production & validation within Cluster SOC
Responsibilities / Duties
Duties will include but are not limited to:
Instrument in-flight calibration1
- Calibration of the DC electric field and drift velocity measurements.
- Determination of the plasma density from plasma wave measurements.
- Calibration of wave electric and magnetic fields.
- Calibration of the electron and ion electrostatic analyzers.
Data production and validation
- Investigations of quality factors and caveats of the plasma and wave measurements.
- Identification of missing records in plasma and wave measurements.
- Identification of inconsistent files between different datasets of the Cluster experiments.
- Production of the EFW datasets (Cluster) and FGM datasets (Double Star).
- Production of the high-resolution electron flux measurement from the EDI/AE data.
- Generation of the summary datasets for the data mining tool.
Qualifications / Experience
- MSc/PhD in relevant discipline
- At least 4 years of relevant experience
- Experience in instrument in-flight calibration of in-situ experiments
- Understanding of the measurements by electric sensors, wave receivers, electrostatic analyzers, solid state detectors, fluxgate and search coil magnetometers
- Programming fluency (language not important, but scripting, C, and IDL/matlab are essential)
- Independency in problem detection and solving
- Good English language skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skill
- Excellent analytical skills
- High standard of document drafting
- Ability to work effectively both within a small team and in an autonomous way
- Positive, “can-do” approach
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Closing Date for applications is 11th November 2018.
Location of the position is ESAC, Madrid, Spain.
Click Here To Apply With CV & Covering Letter
By sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org you give your consent for Telespazio VEGA to hold and process your personal information for the purpose of the application