An experienced and knowledgeable engineer required to support ESA in developing the Gaia mission’s Science Operations Centre at ESAC.
ESA’s Gaia mission is designed to create an accurate and complete astrometric catalogue which will serve for decades to come. The data processing and catalogue creation is carried out by the Gaia Data Processing and Analysis Consortium (DPAC) formed by around 400 individuals and six main data processing centres distributed across Europe. The Gaia SOC at ESAC is an integral part of DPAC and plays a key role in designing the overall system architecture and developing and operating parts of the Core Processing systems (viz. Initial Data Treatment (IDT), First Look (FL), and the Astrometric Global Iterative Solution). ESAC will also form the hub for data exchange via the Main Database (MDB). This MDB will form the input for all processing and will be augmented with the output of all processing to arrive at a new version.
Responsibilities / Duties
Develop and maintain modules, applications and tools specific to product generation framework and quality control framework
- Ensure timely delivery of SW releases and relative increments
- Perform SW architectural design as needed
- Prepare and maintain SW documentation
- Develop and maintain unit test harnesses
- Report on progress and problem areas
- Participate in the Configuration Control Boards applicable to the development and operation of the software
- Following-up and tracking the correction and resolution of problem reports
- Implement approved software enhancement requests
Qualifications / Experience
- University degree in computer science, or software engineering, or scientific discipline, or equivalent.
- Experience in interacting with the science community would be an advantage.
- ECSS standards for software development
- JDK 1.7+1.8 / RMI / Generics
- OO design
- Distributed processing
- Numerical programming in Java
- JUnit / Eclipse/ Ant
- JDBC / DBMS interaction
- Large Databases/data processing (>1TB)
- The engineer must be willing operate in a team environment and to travel.
- He/she should display good interpersonal and communication skills.
- The engineer should be comfortable in an international working environment and be fluent in English.
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Location of the position is ESAC, near Madrid, Spain
Salary plus a benefits package are offered to the successful candidate
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.