An excellent opportunity for an experienced Scientist with GAIA experience to work onsite at ESAC for Telespazio VEGA UK.
To support the GAIA Instrument Operations.
Responsibilities / Duties
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- A diverse range of support tasks is required to be carried out within the above domain.
- On Gaia the leader of a Coordination Unit (CU) fulfils a role equivalent to that of a PI on an observatory type mission, while the CU itself, as a discipline, can be seen as the equivalent of an instrument. In this context the service will provide support to CU7, coordinated by a scientist who will be the liaison to CU7.
- Interact appropriately with and support the algorithm providers
- Aid in optimising on-board parameters and overall operational strategies in the interest of maximising Gaia’s scientific return
- Interface between MOC/Airbus DS and SOC and aid in maintaining the part of the on-board software with relevance for science operations (e.g. compression/decompression)
Qualifications / Experience
- Masters/PhD or equivalent in relevant science.
- Solid background in the analysis of spectral and time domain data acquired on variable stars.
- Experience with miscellaneous time domain analysis methods and knowledge of the analysis methods used by CU7 is a must, examples are: classification engines, using miscellaneous variability classification methods, and techniques like random forest classification and un-supervised learning.
- Experience in designing, coding and testing the resulting science analysis software using JAVA is required.
- A general knowledge of Gaia, its objectives, operations principles and data analysis approach used by the Data Processing and Analysis Consortium (DPAC) is a plus.
- Experience in working in a large consortium and have experience in conflict solving in a context without direct hierarchical relationships.
- Good English language skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to present and effectively communicate quality system processes.
- Good organisational and communication skills, with the ability to work in a diverse team environment.
All roles within Telespazio VEGA have a defined closing date, however if a successful candidate is found before the advert expires the role will be closed early. We would therefore advise any candidate to apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Location of the position is ESAC, nr. Madrid, Spain
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.